This is a quote from "Hillel the Elder" from the first century. (I thought I was so original!)

Thursday, May 2, 2013

End of Book binding for two years

I have been volunteering in the Oakland Family History Library for eighteen months.  I have been repairing and rebinding books from the Library so they will survive another 50 to 100 years of use.


This old bible was brought in by a friend who didn't know I worked there.  I enjoyed getting it back together and in a condition where it can be used often for another 150 years.  I was happy to help and she was happy to donate to the library.  


                                                  This was my last book for a while.

The little mark of a compass rose is my symbol for the books I rebound.  There are three of us who bind books now.  Through the years each person has marked the books they worked on.  If you see a compass rose in a book in that library - I will take all the credit or perhaps the blame for a poor job.

I haven't had the courage to work on my own books yet.  I really love them in their worn and tattered condition.  Only the best RESTORATION, not repair or rebinding, can improve the value of a book beyond library use.


Kristi spent her time at the Library helping patrons.