This is a quote from "Hillel the Elder" from the first century. (I thought I was so original!)

Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Whirlwind

It has been a tough couple of days for the folks in Oklahoma and Kansas.  Tornadoes have changed peoples lives tragically forever.  I took this photo of a water spout a couple years ago as it touched the sea.  As you can see no one took cover as we should have.  Some of our kids showed up in Clayton to say a last goodbye against my better judgement.  When have they ever listened?  I was very appreciative, but it felt like we had our own little whirlwind over the weekend.


Kristi and I were given the opportunity to speak in church.  Kristi did well telling how we decided to serve a mission.  I just got emotional and rambled,  I hope folks understood that doing this seems right for us at this time, but timing is everything, and we have been fortunate that circumstances lined up and pointed us in this direction.  I think service is probably most beneficial to all when there is not a lot of hoop-la.  Just "do good and disappear" is a saying I have heard all my life.


This is some of our family who came for the weekend.

Our kids worked hard to put on an open house.


It was so nice to see so many friends, and several we hadn't seen for quite some time.


These are some of my favorite workers, daughters-in-law, Blair and Kim, and daughter Rachel, and Kristi, who never stops. 


I finally got around to sorting some of my books and cleaning up the loose piles.


 We are stacking all the excess junk and clutter we have accumulated in my converted painting studio.


Soon my sister-in-law Marjolyn and her husband Leon will arrive and live in our home while we are gone.