This is a quote from "Hillel the Elder" from the first century. (I thought I was so original!)

Friday, May 10, 2013

27 Great Reasons NOT To Serve A Mission

 (These are also 27 of the BEST REASONS to serve a mission)



I am not sure how we will endure being so far from our grandchildren and children. 
We have come to the conclusion that the benefits of serving outweigh the heartache for all of us.  It is the hard things in life that test and prove and teach.  We have raised five children who know hard things.  Their spouses have become our children too.   Their difficult choices have given them long term blessings.  They are teaching the same to their children.  It is not easy.  I cannot imagine what Heavenly Father feels for His children as they learn lessons.


Rebecca and Brent Badger
Livermore, California
Amanda, Allyson, Tyler, Devin


Kim and Joshua Skidmore
Taylor, Utah
Dallin, Presley, Jackson, Zachary


Rachel and Marc Leavitt
Cedar Park, Texas
Ellery, Addison, Dane, Soren


Sally and Ben Skidmore
McKinney, Texas
Lucy, Grace, Ellen, Charlie


Blair and Sam Skidmore
Issaquah, Washington
Gideon


Literally, not just figuratively,  my heart is already beginning to ache.


 I felt this once before, in 1973 when I left Kristi and Rebecca and Josh.  I headed to Ubon, Thailand for a year of remote assignment as an F-4 WSO in the U.S. Air Force.


As hard as it was, hard lessons were learned and blessings followed.
How could we know good things if we did not know hard things?
(Keep talking Skidmore, you'll get on that plane.)