This is a quote from "Hillel the Elder" from the first century. (I thought I was so original!)

Friday, May 1, 2015

Zambia's Flora

We went with the Humpherys to a botanical garden just south of Lusaka.  I tend to take photos of blossoms and different plants when I see them.  These are really random photos that I have just decided to post so I can remember many of them.  Feel free to get on with the tasks you need to do as this is pretty boring.














Not blossoms here but ants on the move.


Not much water today.  In the wet season this section looks like Monet's garden.


There were also a few old lions to view.
(the two in front are not cougars)



Helped a couple get their photo taken with a lion.



I loved seeing this very stylish modern mom and her daughter with her doll on her back,
 much like the traditional mom they are walking behind.


I am still totally clueless what this blossom is.  There were a lot of them.




This grandma was very worried as she watched her grandchildren.  I took the photo mainly for the very traditional Zambian hairstyle she was wearing.

































We had a fun afternoon and when I got home I took a couple of photos around our place of vegetables and blooms.






This is really a collection of non-related plants.  Zambia has many many native trees and plants that are beautiful.  We met a catholic priest who with help was cataloging native plants.  Some just bloom at dusk or dawn or only at night.  I think his data base was 40,000 and they were still actively collecting.  This world is an amazing place and one does't need to travel to any exotic place to appreciate it.  When I get home I think I will just hug my old friend the oak tree that is an umbrella over our house!