This is a quote from "Hillel the Elder" from the first century. (I thought I was so original!)

Thursday, August 22, 2013

Children

Children are fun as subjects because they seem so honest and curious.
Here are three in front of their house selling Mom's pastries of some sort.
The stool is covered with a rag rug.


Often they will stop and stare or wave.


Many times you are certain that you are the first white person they have ever seen.


Soccer or "football" takes place everywhere and often two or three games when on a full sized field.


Little girls play the same everywhere.  Her plastic purse is made from a plastic bag.


Little brothers just tag along until old enough to go with the boys.


Sometimes little brother responsibility can be a burden.  Ask my sisters.


I had to wait at a house for over an hour so I watched these boys roll tires down the hill over and over.


Speed and control brought pure joy.


They were happy to have their photo taken and have a look at the results.


Then they all wanted to pose.  It wasn't until later that I realized they had all taken the now classic soccer pose with the front of the shirt up over their heads.


Some kids are entrepreneurs at young ages.  I don't know if it is out of necessity or not.


This day I saw two different boys in different villages playing with some sort of homemade wire toy with wheels that was just pushed along and guided.


These girls made my day by being so happy and carefree.  They all waved and yelled "Halloo, Halloo". 
I can still hear their cheery "Halloos" ringing in my ears.


This brother and sister were alone along the busiest highway in Zambia selling baked goods.


These teenagers were figuring out how to get the new roofing materials delivered.


Often you would catch the older ones just chatting or resting along the way.


And sometimes you see them doing grownup work and I wonder if they will be able to break the mold or example of those closest to them.