This is a quote from "Hillel the Elder" from the first century. (I thought I was so original!)

Wednesday, August 7, 2013

"Businessman's Special"

I used to go to lunch a couple of times a week with a friend, Val Stratford.  It was usually bar-b-que of some sort and Val knew all the waitresses and they always knew our orders.  These businessmen specials in the middle of the day were a great way to catch up on events and solve the world's problems.

So this day after another driving lesson with Elder Williams I offered to buy lunch and they suggested an African bar-b-que they ate at occasionally.   To be honest I was celebrating not having to put my life in the hands of a 20 year old again as I was ready to send him into the world of left turns.


That is Elder Ariho in the back, just happy to have his hour and half ride over with.  I counted, Elder Williams killed the car only seven times, and Elder Ariho was pleased the ordeal was over.

Elder Williams is trying to get the cramp out of his left leg from holding the clutch in for so long in traffic.  Here Elder Williams is deciding what meat dish to order.  I believe they each chose goat.


This is me sitting down for what I would call the "Businessman's Special." I chose beef.


It came with vegetables, which was a spinach-like turnip top, some small cabbage things, lots of beans and a dab of butternut squash.  Of course this was with two big dollops of nshima and a "Fanta".
The cost was just under $5.00 each, including drinks.


The restaurant was in a nice neighborhood (sort of middle class), but without any signage.
I thought it had a lot of atmosphere with the little pavilions to eat under.
The Elders were dutiful and washed before eating.



I was impressed how thorough they were, but they had been out since early that morning.



My surprise came when the plates were delivered to the table and there wasn't any silverware.
None.
I thought, oh, Skidmore you are not so bright.  You've been sheltered going home to an American meal each night.  This is real Zambia.  No tourists ( I have seen only one or two) and no put-ons for a real meal to relax with.  I went back and washed my hands a little better.


And so it went, a Thanksgiving type meal, a white shirt and tie, and FINGERS.


There was lots of juice and gravy.


The Elders scarfed it up like no tomorrow.
When we were finished the plates were slick except for bones.

Elder Ariho explained that this was the way homes were made back in Kenya.  The grass was fixed or replaced almost every year.  The sweet lemon grass is put on first and it smells so good inside all year.  He talked about decorating the walls with red clay and the soil mixed with ashes for black.  I caught him a little homesick as he reminisced about his home and country.  It was probably my fault as I asked too many questions.  He completes his two years the 12th of August.  He really is a good guy.  I wonder what will happen to him when he is put back in his old environment.  
He is strong enough to succeed at anything.  Having an opportunity is key.


I did find a sign on the way out.  It was almost on the ground and it announced the opening of this new  "African Braii"  restaurant back in February.  It is open from 08:00 to 17:00.  The same menu all day.

I emptied my plate, but ate only one lump of nshima.  The Elders slicked theirs up.
I was FULL for almost 24 hours with a lead ball in the bottom of my stomach.


We washed on the way out too.  Just air dry for maximum cleanliness.