This is a quote from "Hillel the Elder" from the first century. (I thought I was so original!)

Friday, August 2, 2013

Bowling Is Already Established In Zambia

I thought there wasn't bowling in Zambia but I had forgotten the English had a presence here for many years.  After my last post I was excited to glimpse a nice manicured lawn and lots of black balls on it.
Bowling is alive and well in Lusaka.


This was tournament day but it looked like everyone was from Lusaka.


First a "jack" is rolled out and becomes the target.
From then on I am lost on scoring but I suppose it is a little like horseshoes.


The bar-b-que was heating up as play continued.


Looked like long sausage to me but not "linked".  Sausage here is very good and it looks like the skewers were just to keep it from unwinding while it cooked.


You don't need instant replay here.  You just study the results forever!


The intensity and anticipation seemed high.  Very quiet.


The teams of four were of both men and women.


The bowls are not perfectly round but sort of an oval with a bias to lean one way.
In other words the ball is shaved on two opposite sides so it flops down when momentum ends.


I suppose I must find a different million dollar idea for Zambia other than bowling.  The "excitement" I found this day hasn't spread to the dry, dusty villages in the last 150 years.  I think a good water ballon fight would be a lot more fun.