This is a quote from "Hillel the Elder" from the first century. (I thought I was so original!)

Sunday, August 4, 2013

Another Birthday (66)

Another birthday showed up uninvited.  Two new couples arrived so they sang to me at the mission home where we shared a meal with the mission president and his wife the night before the big day.  My birthday was just another long day and we got away about 6:30 and went to eat by ourselves at a restaurant the Elders had mentioned.  I had my first steak in Africa and I don't think it was Zebra, it was very good.

I was serenaded by about 12 waiters and cook staff with drums and lots of rhythm.  It seemed to go on forever and I have no idea what most of the words were, but it was sort of catchy.  I wanted to get up and dance with them but that might have been too much for everyone.

The best part was the sundae with CHOCOLATE SYRUP!
I have been checking the stores for this and so far I have come up empty.  I even ask, but they look at me like "why would you want runny chocolate?"

I asked the manager after dinner and he says he gets it from South Africa.


It was great!  I am grateful for the many birthday wishes sent my way.

This was breakfast and it didn't make me as happy.  I understand "settling" and the box was plenty heavy if it is sold by weight, but the size of the bag was totally annoying.

Trying to pour cereal from the box with such a short bag was impossible.  


Quality Control might be a more important job than I had appreciated in America.
I just need to control the quality of the years I have left.
May your birthdays this next year be full of quality.