This is a quote from "Hillel the Elder" from the first century. (I thought I was so original!)

Sunday, July 7, 2013

AfriCrap

AfriCrap isn't a very nice word and is probably offensive to the hardworking craftsmen of Africa.  I hadn't heard the word until I was Skyping my youngest son.  He and his wife spent three months in Kenya shortly after they were married on an intern type project squeezing coconuts.


While talking he stopped and said, "what IS THAT behind you?" "Are you starting to get AfriCrap?"
I said I liked it and it reminded me that I was beginning to "see the elephant."  He just laughed and said that after two years I would have a problem because of collecting AfriCrap.

We have learned that souvenirs often just do not fit in at home once we get them there.  On the other hand there are simple things that travelers collect along the way that can remind one of people and moments that can not be saved or cherished in any other way.

I also appreciate the workmanship with limited tools and more time than money that produces art.

I know some art at first is made of passion and later it is just reproduced endlessly for money and the love in the end product is missing, though still pleasurable.  Anyway, ten dollars and I am in the game of being an official "Africrap" collector.