This is a quote from "Hillel the Elder" from the first century. (I thought I was so original!)

Friday, June 28, 2013

"I Have Seen the Elephant!"

I love to read about the days of western migration in the United States.  Many travelers of those days related that they "had seen the elephant."  This usually meant that some occurrence was encountered or would yet be encountered of life's turning points.  Sometimes it was used in anticipation and sometimes negatively and sometimes positively. 

Often writers would allude to their experiences as seeing a part of the elephant.  The California gold rush has many examples of folks "seeing the elephant."  Most of the time this referred to facing reality.

Well, I hope to see REAL elephants in Zambia but so far, as you can see below, this is the first and only elephant I have encountered.  Yet, in this mission adventure I can now say too,  I am beginning "to see the elephant".  That is; about senior missionary life, and day to day life in Africa.



These fellows above were across the street from the FedEx office.
Here is the FedEx office in Lusaka.  Many businesses are located in homes that have turned commercial.



There seems to always be plenty of paperwork in this calling.


Here starts what is known as "pouch" delivery back to the USA.
Letters with US stamps will be sent by FedEx to Salt Lake and then reposted.