This is a quote from "Hillel the Elder" from the first century. (I thought I was so original!)

Saturday, June 1, 2013

What Just Happened?


A Week Of Change

 I have heard reports of folks attending the MTC as adults.

It has been referred to as trying to get a sip of water from a fire hose. 
 I have tried that while cleaning out huge oil storage tanks at Shell Oil in Martinez.  It is hardly possible.  This week the hose was a gentle sprinkle, but it never quit.  Even when I thought I wasn't thirsty anymore, it kept coming and we ended up totally drenched in spiritual experiences.

As I reflect on what happened this week, I realize the experience was still totally different than what I expected.  Forty-seven years ago I attended a week of missionary training in Salt Lake City.
We were taught all week, mostly by general authorities of the church.  Great men.  It was very interesting but mostly lecture, by those very experienced in missionary type work.
I was entertained, motivated, and ready to copy their style of success.

This week the emphasis was on this little book prepared for all missionaries. 


Most interesting of all we didn't have one lecture from a church general authority.

We sat as students, with 65 seasoned adults with many years of varied and significant church experience, and we were taught by young men and women about twenty-four or twenty-five years old!  They had all served missions but did not even relate their mission stories.  

What they guided us through was:  the realization of the testimonies we have of Jesus Christ, how those testimonies were obtained, and how each individual must come to the knowledge of God the Father, Jesus Christ, His Son and the atonement,  the restoration of the gospel of Jesus Christ through a modern prophet, Joseph Smith;  also our purpose of life here on earth and possibility of being with our loved ones after we leave this earth life.

Missionaries are taught to help others find truth, but to not get in the way of them receiving their own essential spiritual guidance. 


So what happened this week?

I feel my heart beginning to change.